Free Forum: Grease Junkies car club
Welcome to the Grease Junkies forum.
If you wish to view the forum content, please log in. Sign up today if you do not have an account.

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 59 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:32 pm

Car Guy signing in - C-J Watson - S2000/Skyline GTR/Golf V6 4Motion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Car Guy signing in - C-J Watson - S2000/Skyline GTR/Golf V6 4Motion

Post by C7JFW on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:02 pm

Howdy all,

My name's C-J and I'm a car addict. I am the lucky owner of a (now) heavily modified Honda S2000 GT, a Nissan Skyline GT-R R33 Shell and a Golf V6 4Motion. I have a love for high-end products, cars with genuine pedigree or a really-well considered set of modifications that are set up as a total theme.

Longest running project is my Honda S2000 GT which has had a full under-side strip, powder coat and everything re-installed. It also has a full SQ level sound system install and is currently in paint at Xquisite Automotive. The plan is to prepare the car for great days and my next section of the car to be attacked, is the drive train and interior - before aiming for 500bhp or more via forced induction (reliability being key). Oh, the car also has a full stainless exhaust system which has been fully Zircotec Ceramic coated.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Second project is a life-long dream of mine to own a Nissan Skyline GT-R. I came very close to buying myself a Skyline GT-R when getting my first S2000 9 years ago and the desire burnt continually until my (then fiancé) offered to buy me a shell - which subsequently became my engagement present from her. I haven't begun the build yet, but it will be a ground-up nut and bolt restoration almost entirely of Nismo parts so I preserve as much of that build cost as possible should I ever wish to sell (but unlikely) - making it a collector's car.

Then finally, My Volkswagen Golf V6 4Motion. This is my daily car which I use as a discrete runaround for all conditions. It was purchased from ebay for the sumn of £990 and has so far impressed all who have ridden within it (I use the word impressed - most people are staggered that they actually arrive at their destination). The plan is to systematically fix all the minor problems and improve everything as required. As the car is 4 Wheel drive and I've now fitted 4 excellent tyres, it delivers surprisingly high volumes of grip in a very, very discrete shell. The wife rather likes the heated seats too.

Aside from cars my hobbies are technology, good living, property & exercise.. plus maybe a smidge of YouTube when I have a chance.

C-J
C7JFW

Back to top Go down

Re: Car Guy signing in - C-J Watson - S2000/Skyline GTR/Golf V6 4Motion

Post by MissLeighMcKay on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:13 pm

Welcome to the forum CJ Welcome One of the best welcome posts I've read on here. Be sure to keep posting up!
MissLeighMcKay
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by C41N3 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:18 pm

Hello and welcome to the club, I want your skyline Razz, loving all the cars! Grease Junkies
C41N3
Admin

http://forum.greasejunkies.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by C7JFW on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:32 pm

MissLeighMcKay - Thanks very much

C41N3 - Thanks. The Skyline is kind of half a car at present, but I don't intend to sell it i'm afraid. It's [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] of 100 genuine UK cars sold by Nissan and with a full ground-up nut'n'bolt build with all Nismo parts I'm sincerely hoping it increases in value over time. I was just fishing in the right area at the right time to find it.
C7JFW

Back to top Go down

Post by C41N3 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:19 pm

As its a GTR I'm pretty sure it will increase in value if its mint Smile The only thing is Nissan's are a money pit Rolling Eyes Lovely cars though, I look forward to seeing your s2000 when it's done aswell Very Happy
C41N3
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by C7JFW on Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:37 pm

Thank you. It will be completely rebuilt inside and out & everything mechanical will be nismo. I was delighted to see Nissan offering full Nismo engines from the Omori factory to buyers recently and there's a healthy volume of extremely high quality parts available direct from Nismo for the older cars - so that's the plan. I actually intend for it to become the most valuable Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R V-Spec UK Model in existence.

I expect the Nissan to be similar money to the S2000 in terms of how much money they absorb, however, I'm prepared and accepted that'd be the case for a car with the same performance as an Audi RS6.

Thanks - I'm hoping the S2000 comes out of the bodyshop around spring when the weather has improved sufficiently, by which point it should look just 'so'.
C7JFW

Back to top Go down

Post by C41N3 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:58 am

I like your aim mate, I bet those engines cost an arm and leg on there own, I have seen some R33 GTR's sell for just under 30k and those ones have been clean but still have some marks on them, I wonder if Nismo could supply me with all new nuts and bolts for my S13 Very Happy When [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] said about your S2000 has gone in somewhere for some really good work, I said two places to her Kreams or Xquisite and it turnt out to be Xquisite, there work is amazing cheers
C41N3
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by C7JFW on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:35 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - Thank you. As I'm sure you and most enthusiasts are aware, the nismo stuff is proper money which means they don't sell huge volumes of it. The engines I anticipate are in the region of £20-30k, however they come with a Nissan warranty and the ability to set your odometer to 0 - which on such a rare car, may well actually work out longer term (plus I can get a new service manual and follow it to the letter).
It was always my concern that I'd buy an engine that had corner cut on it (in one way or another) and it would inevitably, break. This way I will know it's been treated correctly and will be thoroughly reliable.

With regards to your S13, you should be able to remove ever single nut & bolt from an existing car, bath them with some BiltHmaber DeOx, cleanse, polish and then either have them Zinc plated or send them of for a ceramic coating (similar effect but resists corrosion much more) like CeraKote - which is what I've begun to do on my S2000. Most of the rare stuff will come up for sale over time but you'd be surprised how many original parts can be sourced direct from the counter for most cars.

As for the S2000, yes, it's been going to Xquisite for years, in fact I've been a customer of theirs for over a decade. I have high hopes for the outcome and if everything times correctly, it may just come out for Spring time.

Actually before I forget, one of the best built R33's in the UK is for sale currently which has had a total rebuild by RIPS. Receipts total over £100,000 but the sale price is £50,000. I personally feel if you sit on the car and make it perfect in a decade they'll even out as every single one I see is a dump.

Details here > R.I.P.S. R33 GT-R The Borg

C7JFW

Back to top Go down

Post by Hugh janus on Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:45 am

resetting of the odometer in the UK is fraudulent from a re-sale perspective you will need to keep a record of the old mileage and add your new odometer reading to it if you sell on, making resetting a moot point.

I know it happens a lot over in Japan..this normally happens with engine changes.
Hugh janus

Back to top Go down

Post by C7JFW on Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:44 pm

@Hugh Janus - Haha! Like your forum name. If the Odometer was reset, it would be done not by me, but by Middlehurst Nissan who will be tasked with installing the engine & who would provide paperwork to support that move.

You're absolutely correct that altering milleage is ill-advised, however this would be done properly, by the manufacturer with associated necessary legally-binding paperwork.

That's IF they'd agree to do it.
C7JFW

Back to top Go down

Post by Hugh janus on Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:54 pm

if that's really is the case well played but I'm sure Middlehurst are a dealership (the sensible/logical hat on my head says that a dealership wouldn't have that much power and persuasion) however I'm not connected to the motor trade so I could be talking absolute bollocks Very Happy

Hugh janus

Back to top Go down

Post by C7JFW on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:30 pm

Valid comment, however they are also the original (and for a long time were the only) Nissan Skyline GTR authorised reseller. Nismo is a significant brand for Nissan and now has the kind of backing that means my seemingly impossible suggestion might just be plausible.

If it were any other brand, they may not agree, however I think it might just be possible.

I am sure time will tell - still a great point.
C7JFW

Back to top Go down

Post by C41N3 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:07 pm

I looked at that skyline the other day funnily enough Very Happy love the single turbo conversion Very Happy
I'm going to look into that BiltHmaber DeOx stuff now you've said that as every nut and bolt is off the car at the minute, thank you for the little bit of advice, I will defiantly keep that in mind Very Happy
C41N3
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by C7JFW on Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:33 pm

Bilthamber are a superb product manufacturer - in particular their slightly more involved products.

DeOx is a rust remover that can be observed pulling rust out of the surface of metal. They sell the product in two types:
- A gel you can apply to the surface of anything that can't be dipped in a bath
- As a water-soluble solution designed for a bath.

Bilthamber link here

The idea is you clean up the metal with a wire attachment on a drill until it's just pitting that remains, then make up a 'bath' of the DeOx and sit the item in the bath. It has the best effect over about a week and the colour of the water will gradually go from white to brown when it has exhausted its chemical potency.

The other huge benefit of a bath, is that it'll penetrate areas that you simply can't see or gain access to under usual circumstances. The other massive plus, is that it's 100% environmentally friendly and can be literally poured down your drain when you're done with it.

Once out of the bath & dried, the recommendation is that they go straight into plating or coating. For the very best results, I'd polish the bolts, clean the threads so they look brand new and then ship them off. Most people say avoid polishing things which are due to have paint/substances applied, but everywhere that's good will get them and prep them for the intended outcome - sometimes they'll shove them straight into another bath to strip any invisible chemicals that'd effect the final finish or if it's necessary to have a slight cut on a polished surface, they might use a really fine media to pit the surface microscopically.

CeraKoating is done by a place called Hi-Spec coatings Hi-Spec coatings. The finishes they apply are ceramic based and are superb. They also powder coat.

The other less pricey alternative is to Zinc plate. You can either buy kits from Gateros Plating and do it at home with baths, or you can ship them off. A great plating place will challenge you to get everything you want done into a single box and they do the lot. I've seen a box the size of a football high/wide done for £50 and the finish can be anything from silver/silver&gold/blueysilver tinge/gold - there's masses of options.

Zinc simply acts to seal the metal from the air and resists corrosion. You could paint on top of it too if you decided that was the plan.

Sorry I've gone on a bit!
C7JFW

Back to top Go down

Post by Hugh janus on Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:36 pm

Ive used the Bilthamber gel myself it worked very well
Hugh janus

Back to top Go down

Post by C41N3 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:47 pm

I have just bought some of that in the powder form for the nuts and bolts Smile no need to apologise mate, that's very useful information which I will be using Very Happy
C41N3
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by C7JFW on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:28 pm

I have finally, finally added the thread about my S2000 to the WIP section. Hopefully it explains a bit more about what I'm up to.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
C7JFW

Back to top Go down

Post by CivicChick on Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:03 pm

Hello! I'm a big fan of Hondas Very Happy Where about's you come from? Love to see that beast some day!
CivicChick

http://www.emmabowdidge.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by C7JFW on Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:12 am

Hi CivicChick, I will probably attend a good number of events now I've got the car back (although I am thinking smoothing the bay over winter is a good use of the down time).

I am located Brentwood & near Stansted.
C7JFW

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top